Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 32 effective...

Down .1 lbs. Not much, but I'll take it.

Considering going to the Dominican Republic for Christmas. Can't decide which family to visit during the holidays? Screw it...leave the country. Works for me. Ca$h is tight, but it's also a question of sanity...and rewards...so, leaning strongly towards the sun-and-fun idea.

Then again, working so hard at this protocol and being fairly successful, I do deserve a reward, right? What a concept...donning a bathing suit and not dreading it...who am I? Oh yeah, that's right, the new and improved Jane Doh!

Speaking of new and improved...tried a pretty good recipe for All Beef Chili last night...HCG friendly, too. Heat a large dutch oven (dry) to medium hot. Add 1 pound lean top round beef (all visible fat removed), cut into 1" cubes. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Brown. Add 2 chopped onion and 4 cloves minced garlic. Cook until softened (about 5 mins.). Add 3 tbl. chili powder; 1 tsp. ground cumin; 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Stir until fragrant and to coat onion and beef. Add 3 cups low sodium beef broth (check that there is no sugar in it...the natural section of the grocery store should have this...usually says "organic" on the label). Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and cook, partially covered, for approximately 1.5 hours. Check and stir frequently. About 30 mins. in, add a squirt of tomato paste (again, make sure there is no sugar added)...the tube variety is great for this (beats opening a can and tossing it). When the liquid is cooked down to a thick sauce consistency and the meat is fork-tender, you are ready to eat. Serve 3/4 cup, topped with chopped red onion, tomato and scallion. If in Phase 3 of the protocol, add some cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if you like.

Here's an interesting bit of news. As I near the end of my 40-day protocol (a mere 8 days to go, then 3 on the VLCD without HCG), I'm finding myself feeling a little sad, almost. I've felt so good during this process and am a bit skeptical that this weight I've taken off will stay off. I will, of course, stay vigilant during the 3-week "reset" period...avoiding, most importantly, all starches and sugars...but, I don't know...is this where the "too good to be true" adage comes to pass? I really hope not...that would be oh-so-disappointing.

Must face my work day.

Eat and be well,

Jane Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment