Wednesday, October 7, 2009

HCG...day 5

...Day 5 "effective," that is.

Here's the skinny (well, not yet), so I'm doing it...the whole HCG diet "thang"...500 calories a day (easier than it sounds)...no drinking (not as bad as I expected)...overall life change (about time).

Things to know: I'm 5'0" (5'1" on a big hair day); 48-years-old (or 29 and 231 months); started at 196.7 (hence the pseudonym); and a mere five days in, I am down 7.1 lbs. Plus, I feel great.

Not familiar with HCG? It's human chorionic Gonadtrophin...the hormone baby mamas produce that diverts nutrients and such to the growing lil' one. And don't ask me how to pronounce it either...all I know is it works. I'm not hungry and the pounds are quickly slipping away.

As I understand it, the whole idea is to reset your metabolism through a defined, short-term dieting effort (no more than 40 days, no less than 20 on the HCG).

Short story of how it works: you stuff your cake hole for 2 fabulous days with any and everything (the more fattening the better) while starting the HCG drops (6 times a day, under the tongue). Day 3 you begin the 500 very low calorie diet (VLCD)...limited selections of fruit, veggies and protein (2 fruit, reasonable amounts of veggies, 7 oz. protein (2 servings of 3.5 oz.)).

Plus you need to drink at least 68 oz. of H2O everyday. Take measurements at start; weigh yourself every morning (after a piddle and sans clothing). Keep a log of this info too, cuz' seeing the numbers drop is great motivation.

For all the details, read the founder's protocol here (http://www.thehcgdiet.com/pdf/pounds-and-inches-by-dr-a-t-w-simeons.pdf)...plus a quick search of "HCG" doesn't hurt either.

What I can't get over is my energy level and, for lack of a better word, just a general feeling of euphoria. Not sure if it's the hormone or pride in losing weight.

Anyway, trying to get creative with prepping the limited food items...particularly fond of steamed shrimp and spinach with greek seasonings. I'm also forcing myself not to drop out of my social life just because I'm dieting.

Call me a masochist, but I'm still going to bars and restaurants...I am, after all, the consummate social bunny. I'm just drinking lots of seltzer and doing my best Meg-Ryan-in-the-deli scene from "When Harry Met Sally."

No, not that one...but more than a few people have said, "I'll have what she's having" when they see my special-order dish! My favorite Asian restaurant in NH – Ocean Wok – makes me a steamed lunch portion of shrimp (6...I eat 4 and give two to my honey) with cabbage, onion and celery. A little lemon juice, lots of hot tea and I'm living large. And in no time, that will be figuratively speaking versus literally!

I'll keep you posted.

Eat and be well.

Jane Doh!


No comments:

Post a Comment