Monday, March 15, 2010

Stabilization...Day 121

Actually up 1.7 lbs. this morning...tho I'm not too concerned...I'm feeling very bloated, plus I'm still within my "allowed" two pound flux.

Yes, it's true, I try not to stress if I'm up a little...as long as it's less than two pounds and when I know I haven't strayed to far from my typical diet, it's usually just water weight and comes off the next morning. Even if I've eaten something that is normally taboo, I go right back to my "no whites, no sugars" mantra and again, it comes off within a day or two...for me, this is why weighing in everyday and tracking that number is so important. Not to mention, I'm a bit obsessive compulsive anyway!

I have also decided that I need to also get more aggressive with exercise. 10,000 steps a day is good, but it's time to begin a routine that encompasses toning and strengthening...ick. I abhor exercise. It's not the physical exertion so much as I don't care for sweating (or glistening, as I prefer to call it). No. Sir. I. Don't. Care. For. It. At. All.

Making "Hamburg Soup" today...it's rainy and raw here in New England...a perfect day for hot soup.

It is a very tasty concoction that makes good use of many veggies, but the 1 pound of extra lean hamburger (95% if you can find it) gives it more depth, thus this less than 250 calorie lunch really sticks to the ole ribs.

Anything goes, but I usually make mine with onions, garlic, zucchini, yellow squash, celery, carrots, peas, corn (just a handful of the peas and corn...more for color and texture), black beans, tomato paste (2-3 tbl.), 28 oz. can of tomato puree (no sugar or salt added), 1 quart low or sodium free beef broth (I like Kitchen Basics), 3+ tbl. of assorted italian dried spices (to taste) and 1# very lean hamburger.

In a large dutch oven, over medium high heat, saute onion/garlic until translucent in minimal extra virgin olive oil; add hamburg. Cook until no longer pink. Add dried spices (I like Morton & Bassett's Italian mix, plus I add additional oregano, basil, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, etc.)...the amount is to your own taste, but figure at least a total of 3 tbl. of the the above suggested spices. Cook spices at least 1 minute to release flavor. Add canned puree, broth, remaining veggies and black beans. Bring to a boil, then let simmer 45 mins. Add water (to thin) as needed (again, to your preference), salt and pepper to taste. I serve with a tablespoon of shredded parmesan for extra flavor.

Calories per cup: 225 (add 21 calories for 1 tbl. parmesan)

Well, back to work for this dieting diva!

Eat and be well,

Jane Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment